Sunday, February 13, 2011

Erika the bookworm

The other night, I walked into Erika's room and I found her exactly like this:  



     She is a very deep sleeper so she didn't even wake up when I took the picture.   (And I know she was sleeping- I could hear her snoring!)  I showed it to her the next morning and she laughed.  Erika LOVES to read!   Often at night I will go downstairs to her room and make her turn out the light and go to bed because she is so into her book.  She has set a goal to read the Book of Mormon before she is baptized in July.  She is already in Alma, so  I think she will make it without too much pressure.  There have been a few nights when it has been late and I have said, "You don't need to read it tonight..." but she is adamant that she has to read her chapter in the scriptures.  We are reading it with her, of course, to help her understand it, but she also likes to sneak in a bit on her own.  I have been amazed at her ability to understand the meaning of things.   I am thankful for her example to me and hope I can teach her something.  Sometimes you wonder if you were sent here to teach them or if it is the other way around.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds SO MUCH like my oldest, Kenya. I hear ya on the teaching part. These are some special spirits we are to look after, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS POST. What a darling picture of our sweet Erika... always a example to the whole family. Thanks for your efforts Amber. Love each of you so much. It was great to spend some time together this weekend.xo
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahri had the same goal. I was a proud papa when she finished. She did have to do some long sessions towards the end but she made it. I am amazed at how well they can comprehend at that age as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is simply one of the sweetest pictures I have ever seen! That girl is a force to be reckoned with, FOR SURE. :)

    ReplyDelete