Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lucky





Well, the big day has arrived, a day I have been waiting for for a long time!!   I finally got a dog!   When we first got married, we had the discussion about pets and had differing views but came to one consensus, and that was that someday I would get my dog.  I grew up with a lot of pets- horses, a cow, sheep, dogs, chickens and ducks, and I raised mice, hamsters, gerbils, and rats.  I also bred guinea pigs and sold them to pet stores.   (Not all at the same time, of course.)  So, I had my years as a youth when I was a pet lover.   Times have changed and I don't ever intend to be that extreme, but I still really wanted at least a dog.  I had kind of planned on getting a grown dog because it would probably be a lot easier to train, but the kids really wanted to get a puppy so that's what we decided to do.  The decision on a breed was also a hard one because Aaron was set that it would stay outside but it had to be small so the kids wouldn't be overwhelmed by it and could love and play with it.   We finally decided on a cavalier king charles spaniel, kind of like a mini cocker spaniel.  They are really mellow, don't bark a lot, and great with kids.  I found the one I wanted this last Saturday and we went and picked him up.  His name is Lucky- it was an easy name to decide and we all agreed on it.  Erika said, "He should be lucky because he is such a lucky puppy to have us as his family."  And, he is right.  I think he will have a good home here.  Since he arrived, the kids have been wanting to hold him non-stop!   The poor little thing has hardly had time to eat, nap, or pee, and this has been a challenge in training too so every once in awhile I have to tell the kids he needs a break.    He is a pretty easy-going and mellow dog, an ohh so cute!!   It has been fun to watch the kids get so excited about him!   We love our new puppy and are so excited to have him in our family!

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea you were SUCH an animal lover! He's so cute! Good luck with training, I think it really helps when they're mellow to begin with. We love our lab, he's finally getting past the "puppy" hyper stuff. Our kids love him too. I wanted a dog we could keep outside, Kenya's allergic to cats and dogs it's worked great for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute, cute! Cute kids, cute mom, cute doggie! I can't wait till we get ours! Have fun! You'll have to tell me all your house-training secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cute! I'm so glad I found your blog, your family is adorable!
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine you without pets! You ARE such an animal lover and I'm so glad you have a puppy! I'm glad you had such a fun time in California. I love keeping up with your cute family. Heidi's 2 year old pictures are adorable. Erika looks just like you! Looks like you are so happy and loving life. I'm so happy for you! If you haven't already, check Angela's blog. She has a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I just found your blog from a link on Ashley and Blake's blog. I was excited to see you and your cute family!!! I talked to Vicki today and it made me homesick for all our neices and nephews. Remember if you ever want to come up this wasy I have spare beds.
    Lots of Love!!
    Aunt Renee

    ReplyDelete