Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A time of Thanksgiving

The month of November was a busy one for the Michels.  My parents were getting ready to leave on their mission.   We went down for their farewell the weekend of Nov 21st and came back Sunday night.  It was a great day- nice to see so many extended family there.  I enjoyed listening to my parents' talks and felt the spirit in the meeting.  I am so excited for them and hope it is a great experience for them.  


Me and my mom 


My dad on the right with his friend Mike

          Later that week we celebrated Thanksgiving with them.  We enjoyed a nice meal together with my parents and siblings and also both sets of my grandparents.    I am so grateful for the blessing of such wonderful family.  I hope my siblings and also my parents know how much I love them!  
Opa reading to the grandkids (and Jeremy)

 Thanksgiving day we got to go out with the horses and pull the kids on a sled  behind them on the roads behind the houses in the neighborhood by my parents' house.  This is something we did almost every year on Christmas day when I was growing up so it brought back a lot of memories for me.  The kids had a blast being pulled on the sled.  (I prefer to stay on the horse :)

The day after Thanksgiving we went out again, this time with my mom and we took all 3 horses.  We rode down to the gully and pulled the kids on the sleds at different spots.  I think that was the highlight of my weekend down there. There's nothing like a good horseback ride for me.  I am thankful to Aaron for staying back with the baby while I got to have some fun with my family.  It will be a good memory for  me.
Getting ready for a fun ride with the horses.
That weekend Aaron and I also took the opportunity to record a few of our grandparents' life histories as they spoke to us.  We were especially grateful to have the chance to listen to his grandma and grandpa Christensen for many hours.  His grandma has grown quite frail with alzheimers and has a hard time expressing herself at this point.  But, we are thankful for what she was able to share.  We are starting to feel the urgency in learning all we can from our grandparents before they are gone.   We feel very strongly that this is the most important family history we can do at this time.  We are so thankful for wonderful grandparents who have lived faithful lives and set such valiant examples for us to follow.  
Grandma and Grandpa Christensen with their great-grandchildren

Uncle Ryan holding Jared

Is there anything sweeter than holding a sleeping baby?   
          I am grateful for this thanksgiving season when we have a chance to reflect upon all we've been given.  I am truly thankful for all of my many blessings, among which are family and friends, the blessing of being alive at this time with so many opportunities, to be a mother of 4 wonderful children, to have such a great husband and best friend, and to have the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ in my life.  Life is so good!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more about recording family history. We missed taping Andy's grandpa and I don't want to miss anyone else! In fact, my parents were here for Cadhla's blessing and I filled a tape of them talking about meeting and another full tape on being engaged, marrying and being newlyweds. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picture of you and your baby! Glad to see you are doing so well. Your kids are darling!

    ReplyDelete