Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Weekend to Remember


I had a few of my dreams come true this last weekend.   Aaron and I took off on a romantic getaway to Las Vegas.  We have been there twice before, the first time being our honeymoon.  We spent a week there for our honeymoon- we stayed in the Bellagio and it was so wonderful.   It is such a good memory for me.  We were like two hicks from the country entering a whole new world.  We had fun just exploring all the different hotels with all their elaborate detail and unique settings.  Yes, there is some bad in Las Vegas, but we have found that it is not too hard for us to just stay away from it.  You can still have a lot of fun in Vegas even if you don't gamble.  It is actually such a beautiful place with lots of things to explore.  



Standing in front of the Bellagio while the fountains were going off- So beautiful!!

The biggest dream that came true this weekend was going to see Celine Dion.   When she left Las Vegas the last time, I thought she was done for good and we had lost our chance.  She went on a world tour for a year and we actually had tickets for a show in Salt Lake but for some reason she ended up cancelling the show and we got our money back.   After that, for one of our anniversaries, Aaron did something very romantic.  He bought the DVD of her concert "A New Day" and brought me to the seminary where he had moved all of the desks in his classroom and we watched it on the big screen.  
Later, we were so excited to find out she was going back to Las Vegas and we bought tickets (clear back in October.)  



The show was SO AMAZING!!   It was so good, I almost couldn't believe it was happening.  I have never seen a singer perform with so much passion and emotion.  Aaron and I brought some bioculars (which was really nice) and were able to watch her face a lot.   You could tell she really loves what she does.  And, no one can do it like her!!   This was such a dream come true for me.   I told Aaron, "If I died tonight, I would die a very happy woman."  



One of my other dreams came true as we were driving down the street and I saw the sign for "Benihana".  I said, "I know where we're going to dinner!"  I went there for the Prom back in high school and have wanted to go back ever since.   This was the perfect opportunity.   We had a great time watching our chef "Yong" cook our meal while doing tricks for us.  





Isn't it pretty?  (I'm talking about the course)  Yes, he's handsome too, but he's mine   :)
Aaron enjoyed a nice round of golf at Badlands golf course.  It was so beautiful and peaceful there.  He did well- got a 76 on a pretty difficult course!   He said I was his good luck charm.  I was his cheerleader, while I enjoyed a book on the golf cart.  :)



After golf, we went to the "Ethel M. Chocolate" factory for a tour.   It took awhile to get there from the strip and after all that, I have to admit I was a little disappointed.  The "tour" turned out to be just walking down a hallway with a glass window on one side where they make the chocolate.  The day looked like it was about over and the workers were packaging the chocolates at the end.   The other side of the hall had pictures and narrative about the history of chocolate making.   At the end of the hall was their chocolate shop, which was of course their objective in getting us there.  It was interesting, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone going to Vegas in the future.  It wasn't worth the trip.


Outside the factory they had a really unique catcus garden which was actually really pretty.  



One thing we have learned about Las Vegas is that there is SO MUCH to see and do- shows and nice buffets, fancy hotels, and smaller attractions, some free and some not.  But, even the free ones have to be worth the effort because it usually takes some time to walk or drive to see them.  We walked around on the strip for awhile and it was good.  We went on some 4-D rides in the Excalibur hotel.  Every hotel has something interesting to see.  But, staying at the Bellagio was so great!  It is just so classy.  We were celebrating our anniversary (6 mo exactly from December, and we don't really travel the week before Christmas).   One night the hotel had left a fancy box of chocolates on our bed with a note saying "Happy Anniversary".   We also really enjoyed relaxing at the pool, which was so beautiful!!!

I especially want to thank Aaron's parents for watching the kids while we were away.  It was a sacrifice on their part and we really appreciate it.  We couldn't have done it without them!

Overall, it was such a wonderful vacation-  a TRUE VACATION, not a "work-ation", which is what we call them now when you are hauling around 4 kids.  They are fun too, but just not the same.  I love my husband so much.   I can't imagine spending life without my best friend.

4 comments:

  1. So much fun! I'm glad you had a great time with just the two of you. Inspires me to go on a true vacation sometimes soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. The picutres are great and I am glad that we were able to spend time with the kids to allow you create these special memories and strengthen your marriage. WE LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so glad that you had the opportunity to have this fun time together, what a great pattern to keep your love strong and fresh. It looks like it was a fun vacation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! Reading this warmed my heart. I'm so glad you two were able to do this.

    ReplyDelete