Sunday, August 7, 2011

Erika's 8th birthday

We celebrated Erika's eighth birthday on July 24th.  She had a great day.  It was a Sunday and we had just spent the whole weekend prior camping.  She got a nice new bike and helmet.   
Oma and Opa got her a set of new scriptures with her name on it.   They were able to watch her open her present over the internet on skype (they are on their mission in Vietnam).  

I thought some of these pictures were so funny- the kids were trying so hard!

Since this is a big birthday for her, we had a party with a bunch of friends.  Now, I don't mean to brag, but Aaron and I are dang good party planners.   We don't let the kids have a party every year, just at the landmark ages- 5, 8, 12, 16.  (That's the plan, anyway).   I put a lot of work into getting ready for the party and I think it was a success. 
Erika wanted her party to be a water party, and we had the perfect weather for it.  We had a slip 'n slide, waterslide (on the swingset), and jumping on the trampoline with the sprinkler under it.  After this, we had a bucket relay race with water.  Then, we had a treasure hunt around the yard and the kids ended up each getting a prize at the end.  We had some water balloon games with a toss and then a huge water fight. 


After the water fun, we had a pinata.  Don't ask about the signifigance of the chinese girl for a pinata, because there is none.  We were in a rush at the store and they only had 5 to choose from and I let Erika choose.  (I had started to think I would have to make one myself and that could have been kind of crazy).  The kids had a blast hitting the pinata and then scrambling around for candy. 

I made this "book cake" at Erika's request because she LOVES, LOVES, LOVES  to read!!!  If I don't know where Erika is, I can usually find her on the couch in the living room reading a book. 


What a fun dad- he wasn't afraid to get out there and get wet with the kids. 

Overall, I think Erika had a great birthday and it was a lot of fun.  We are so thankful for the good friends she has been able to make in such a wonderful neighborhood.   After the party was over, Aaron and I were both  exhausted!!   Doing a party takes a lot of work, especially with 15 energetic kids.  We're glad they all had fun!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray... I have been patiently awaiting pictures from Erika's birthday party. What a fun, fun time and great memory for Erika and all her friends. These are moments she will never forget and when she's a parent will be even more grateful and understanding of your sacrifices to make this happen. Good job mom and dad... THE CAKE IS DARLING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete