Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Erika's baptism


Erika's baptism was a very special day for our family.   It was an exciting thing for Aaron to be able to baptize his oldest child.  We were all really excited for Erika's big day.   She has been anticipating this day for a very long time;  I think for as long as she has been able to talk she's been talking about it.   She has spent the last year preparing for her baptism, and taking it very seriously.  She read the Book of Mormon and we have been reading other books together.   

There were 8 children getting baptized that day from different wards in the stake.  Two other children were from our ward and are some of Erika's friends.  We headed over to the stake center where they had a short meeting beforehand and then we waited for our turn to go to the baptismal font.  Two funny things that happened were:  1.  I forgot to bring towels- I guess I just thought they had them there for us and didn't really think about it before.  So, I had to run home and get them right before we left the chapel and when I got back (and mind you, I was VERY FAST!  We live less than a mile away) they were all waiting for me.  2. Another memorable thing was that part of Erika's baptismal dress was sticking up when Erika went under the water so Aaron had to perform the ordinance again.  


After the baptism we had a small luncheon at our house with everyone who came.  We are so grateful to everyone who was there to support Erika.  We recognize that it was a big sacrifice for many of them.  We were very touched by the support we received.  We love our family so much!!  


I hope that this will be a day that Erika will always remember.  I know she felt the spirit that day as many of us did.  On the way home from the baptism while we were in the van,  Erika said to me and Aaron, "When daddy had his hands on my head and he said, 'receive the Holy Ghost', I felt all warm and tingly inside.  I don't think Erika would have made this up.  I'm glad it was such a special day for her.

Erika wearing the white dress grandma Parkinson got for her.  

2 comments:

  1. Erika what a special day for you and for all of us that were there to witness your baptism. There are a few milestones in our lives that we never forget... baptism day is one of those special times that you will never forget the feelings you felt that day. As I watched you be baptized I remember my baptism (nearly 50 years ago). Those wonderful, warm feelings of the spirit still remind me of that important covenant I made at baptism. I promise you that the warm feelings of the spirit will bless you your whole life!! What a great blessing. Sure love you!!

    ReplyDelete