Friday, September 30, 2011

Back to School

In front of the new school with their good friends Lilly and Emma.  
It was an exciting day when the kids went back to school on Aug 29th.  They have been anxiously anticipating it all summer as they have watched the new school being built.
     I don't know who is more excited about the new school, me or them!!  It is only a block away- just down the street, so they can walk to school, now.  I absolutely LOVE that part of it.  The new school is also really nice.

Erika started the 3rd grade this year.    Her teacher is Mrs. Oyler.  The funny thing is that Aaron actually taught her in seminary!!  Woe!  This makes him feel pretty old.  He was pretty surprised to see her when we met her in Erika's classroom on back-to-school night.  So far Erika is loving school and things are going well for her.   She has a lot of friends and is always coming up with new games and "clubs" with them.   She still loves learning and is a great example to her classmates.  



          Kyle started kindergarten this year.  What an exciting thing for him!  He goes every day from 12:10 to 2:50.   After the first few days, he was disappointed to learn that he would only go for half a day.   He loves school and wishes he could go all day long like the other kids.   He gets pretty bored at home with me and so it is a challenge for me to find things to keep him busy.  I do love having him with me for part of the day, though, and will miss that next year.   He always says to me, "Mom, what are you going to do today while I am at school?" and "Make sure you watch out for my room so it doesn't get messed up."  One day he said really sincerely, "I hope you are not bored while I am gone.  I know you'll miss me."  What a sweetie.


Heidi is still attending school with the Early Learning Center for Development assistance.   She was bussed to the Corinne Learning Center for 5 weeks in the summer twice a week.  Now that the new Garland school is done, the Fielding school is being remodeled and so they are using the old Garland school until theirs is remodeled.  They have a developmental preschool there and so this year Heidi gets to go there!  This is great for her because it is a lot closer.  She still gets to ride the bus, but it's less than a mile away.  Last year she sat on the bus for almost an hour each way to preschool.  She also gets to go four days a week instead of two this year.    Heidi is really loving school and making so much progress.  I am so thankful for the school system and for all the help they give.  I do what I can at home to teach the kids, but I don't think I could teach them as much as what they get at school.

2 comments:

  1. Erika and Kyle and can't wait to see your new school... what fun!! Your classrooms look so fun and your teacher looks nice!
    Heidi you are growing so big... Honestly ... I bet mommy is REALLY bored and lonely without her kids around during the day.
    It is so fun to stay tuned in to what's going on in your lives... Thank you Amber!!xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for a new school! Walking to and from school is awesome! My girls walk home from school and I love it! And that's super cute about Kyle. My girls ask me what I do while they are gone too. I like that they are concerned.

    ReplyDelete