Sunday, June 3, 2012

My Parents' Homecoming


On May 17th, the big day finally arrived when my parents came home from their mission in Vietnam.  The kids were so excited to drive down to Sandy and see their Oma and Opa again.  They have been gone for 18 months and we have really missed them.  We are thankful for the blessing of Skype, though, which has really helped us keep in touch.   In all honesty, the time has actually gone by really fast, just speaking for myself, although there were hard times.  When I was standing there next to them, it just felt so natural, like they hadn't even left- like it was a dream or something.  The kids warmed up to them so quickly as if they had been here the whole time.  (Except for Jared, who was 6 mo when they left, but he is still shy around everyone and actually did pretty well with them.)

We are so proud of them for making the sacrifice to go on a mission.  Not many people have the opportunity to serve at such a young age.  They experienced a lot of challenges, but I know they have learned from it and I could tell that they have grown spiritually, too.   We are grateful for their example to us of service to the Lord.  It also nice to have them home again.  

This isn't everyone who was there- my family was all in the car
when a bunch of us just jumped into the picture.    

The day after their arrival, we spent the night down at their house for a few events.  Friday night we went to the wedding reception of my cousin Camille Sparks.  The kids had a great time with their cousins at the reception.  They especially enjoyed groovin' out on the dance floor, totally uninhibited.   It was nice to visit with many of my family there.  



The next day, the kids got to hang out at Oma and Opa's house and have fun together.  They got to play outside and go for a little horse ride.   They also had a lot of fun going out to the barn to gather eggs and see the animals.  Erika, Lucy, Kyle, and Logan were almost inseparable.  



Erika and Lucy enjoying a nice lunch

We had a little baby shower for my sister Amanda, who will be having a baby girl in July.   There were several other people there, but this is a picture of just me and my two sisters and sister-in-law.  We  had a good time playing games and eating, and planning for babies soon to arrive.  It was a great weekend!  

Candice, Jordan, Amanda, and Me


1 comment:

  1. Wow your parents are back already! Time really does fly. I am sure it's wonderful to spend time with them again. And what a wonderful example they have set for your children!

    ReplyDelete