Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Halloween 2013


Halloween was a lot of fun this year!  As the kids have grown older, I'm sad to say that my excitement for Halloween is waning...  I know- sad, huh?  It has never really been my favorite holiday.  I mean, what are we celebrating anyway?  Ghosts and goblins?  I know there is some historical significance to the holiday, but it has long since been lost in costumes and trick-or-treating.    Although it is probably my least favorite holiday,  I still try to have fun because I know how much fun it is for my kids.  I think my favorite part of Halloween is the dressing-up.  For some reason, I think that brings out a different side in all of us that is not normally socially acceptable.  It is the one day of the year we can look totally goofy or creepy and we're not going to get a strange look from someone. 
Erika taking time to pause for a picture in the parade.
Heidi and Jared waiting for the parade to start

The kids had fun dressing up for school and doing their "parade" at the end of the day.    The funny thing that I have heard lately is that people have come to Utah from out-of state and commented on how much we celebrate Halloween here compared to other states.  I find that rather odd, considering that we are a predominantly mormon state, and our religion does not focus on evil things.   My sister lives in California and they don't even let the kids dress up at school.  They just go trick-or-treating that night.   Here, we have a ward Halloween party a few days before Halloween, then the kids have a Halloween parade at school, and then go trick-or-treating that night.  It's all for fun, though.  I don't mind it.   The only costume I sewed this year was Erika's "candy corn" costume.  All the others we already had or bought.  


Who is that ninja warrior walking the halls?

The kids also had a really fun time trick-or-treating, too.  Aaron has institute on Thursday, which landed on Halloween, so I was on my own this year.  I took the kids out as early as I could and they didn't want to stop!  It was past their bedtime when we got home and they were all so excited.  Erika and Kyle are approaching the age when they could probably go out for hours- they are all about the candy now.  Heidi was just happy about it all.  Jared was adorable- this was his first year he really got into it.  He walked up to every door and said "trick or treat!"  He was so excited to see all the different pumpkins and decorations at everyone's houses.  The candy was just a bonus, really.     Jordan was a real trooper.  Even though he obviously did not like it, once he got into the stroller all bundled up, he didn't make a peep.  Fun times!

Jordan wasn't very thrilled about dressing up or wearing makeup,
but doesn't he look adorable in the little lion costume?

1 comment: