Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Top of Utah Half Marathon



I have wanted to do the top of Utah half-marathon for several years now.  I've heard it is a really nice run.   I usually run about twice a week all year long, but I started training more seriously at the beginning of the summer.  One thing I really enjoyed this summer was running at the park.  There is a park close to my house with a track around the outside and a playground in the middle.  A couple times a week I would take the kids over there and while I ran, they would play!  And, I met up with a few friends that would also run there.  Perfect!  I usually had to push the jogging stroller with one or two of the kids, but occasionally they all played and I was able to just run!   It is a really nice setup because I can see the kids the whole time I run and they get to have fun, too.  


"Yes... I made it!!"  This is me as I'm sprinting
to the finish line.   (I couldn't see the camera.)

The top-of-utah half is really nice!  Almost the whole thing is down-hill.  I also enjoyed running through the blacksmith fork canyon just south of Smithfield.  There was a fire there a few weeks before the race and I was worried that it would be cancelled, but I guess the air quality was okay by that time and from what I could see, there wasn't a really large area that was burned.  

One crazy thing that happened to me this time was that when I went to plug in my headphones into my iPhone just after I started running, the headphone jack didn't work!!  I was thinking, "You mean I have been training for months and now I'm going to run for over 2 hours with no music!!?"  I don't know if I am jinxed or something because a similar thing happened to me when I ran the farmington half-marathon.  I thought my iPod had been charging all night and apparently someone had unplugged it and I couldn't tell.  So, I ran my first half-marathon with no music either.  Just my luck, huh?   It would've been nicer with the music, but it turned out okay.  I was able to just run and listen to nature and left my "run keeper" app on so it would tell me my mileage out loud.

Because the race is downhill, (and maybe a little bit because I'm getting faster, I don't know) I improved my time by 20 min. since my last race, making it 1 hr 59 minutes.  (My goal was to come in under 2 hours- wow- I barely did it!).  I was happy with how I did and I really wasn't that sore afterward.  (I guess I could've pushed it a little harder?  Nah!)  Now I've got another 2 years to gear up for the next one :)

AUGUST 24th, 2013- TOP OF UTAH HALF MARATHON





No comments:

Post a Comment