Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Camping in Mantua

With such a busy summer, we managed to take our trailer out on ONE camping trip just a couple weeks before school would start.  Where did the summer go??

The kids showing off the "fort" they made in the trees.
  It it always a fun adventure for us to explore a new place.  I like to travel.  I was blessed with a wonderful childhood and the opportunity to travel to many places with my family.  I have fond memories of road trips across the country both ways, and lots of camping.   I look forward to many vacations with my own family- road trips and also a lot of camping!
      And, I guess now that we are "trailer people" and own a camping trailer, we probably will never go back to tent camping if we don't have to.  I have to admit, it really is nicer!  And, I guess some would call it "not TRUE camping" in a trailer, but, hey-  it's still out of your element with 5 kids.  So, anything that will make it a little easier for me and more comfortable, I'M IN!   The only disadvantage to going with a trailer is that depending on the size of your trailer there are some sites you can't fit into.  But, you still get to pack up everyone and go somewhere new together, make new memories and get out into nature.

So, August 14th we decided to try a new campground and went to a place in Mantua.   (Strangely enough, it is pronounced "Mannoway", and I don't know why...)  Mantua is just up the canyon from Brigham City, so it is actually pretty close to home.  We headed up on a Wednesday so there weren't many people there that first night and we got to pick a nice spot.  One fun thing about the campground is the little stream running through, in-between the campsites.  We picked a spot by the stream and the kids had a great time exploring it.   The kids also like to make "forts" in the trees where they each have their own pretend "bedroom" and they can do this for hours!  
Jared helping hold the frog that Kyle caught.  We took 
him home and he put him in an aquarium in his room.  

I had a hard time keeping this kiddo out of the water.
He just loves it!

About 5 min. from the campground is the reservoir in Mantua.  I'm pretty sure it is man-made and there aren't a lot of beaches.  The one spot we found was pretty barren with coarse sand, but it was still fun.  The kids swam in the lake and we had a picnic lunch there.  Then, they relaxed in the sun for a little while.  

We brought our bikes camping and had a lot of fun riding them around.   I pulled the two little ones in the bike trailer around the loop over and over.  We got Heidi a tricycle for her birthday in hopes that it would be easier for her to learn the pedals.  One of my happiest moments of the trip was watching her finally figure out how to pedal a bike!!  We have been trying and trying all summer to help her learn.  Aaron even put a bike in the garage up on planks so she could just practice moving the pedals around.  For some reason it just wasn't making sense for her.  She has struggled her whole life with coordination and motor skills so it wasn't a surprise this would be a challenge.  So, for us this was a very exciting milestone!!  Once she figured it out, she LOVED it and wanted to ride and ride.  One fun thing was that the loop by our trailer kind of sloped down so she would ride the tricycle down and then I would hook her on to the back of my bike at the bottom and "pull" her up the uphill side.  


I know there is not much to see in this picture, but that is ME back there.  Aaron had challenged me to swim to that buoy and I DID IT!!  Amazing what you'll do for a swedish fish, huh?  (It felt like it was in the middle of the lake but I know it wasn't)  I was pretty proud of myself.  It was harder than it looks because there was some pretty creepy seaweed all over that really grossed me out so I basically just got to the buoy and then swam back as quick as I could!  








 

No comments:

Post a Comment