Tuesday, September 16, 2014

St. George retreat

Of course, we wouldn't miss a session in the St. George temple- so beautiful!  

Aaron and I had the opportunity of taking a little getaway vacation with just the two of us to St. George from June 14th-18th.   It was a wonderful 4 days!!    We stayed in Sandy at my parents' on Friday night, and then headed out on Saturday morning.   We are so grateful to my parents for watching the kids for us while we were away! 


Our first stop was a small museum off the highway just 15 min. North of St. George.  I love ghost towns and really wanted to stop and see one.   There was not much left of this one, but it was really neat to see what was there.  It is called Silver Reef.  It was a mining town that boomed around 1870.  The Wells Fargo Bank and another bank are the only remaining buildings left standing, but the museum was fascinating and we took a little tour.  I loved the tour guide- he was like the classic mountain man and so fun!   They had a mini model of what the town would have looked like back then.  It was fun to imagine what life would've been like for them.  


Aaron and I also spent an evening hiking in Snow Canyon,  where there are tunnels called "tube caves" that were formed when lava was flowing through the canyon and the top cooled faster than what was underneath.  We had fun climbing through a few of those tunnels.  They are practically hidden until you get into the canyon and explore a little.  



On Sunday, we took some time to visit some of the historic sites in St. George.  St. George was one of the first mormon settlements, so there is a lot of history there.  We visited the Brigham Young home and the Jacob Hamblin home.  

I love taking a step back in time and learning about the way they lived.  It definitely makes me grateful for my life and the luxuries I enjoy!  As a woman, I am particularly grateful for all the conveniences we have now, and wouldn't trade those women back then.  I admire their faith and strength.  I feel like kind-of a wimp compared to them, and makes me want to be more grateful and enjoy the life I have!!  I like to say that I would have made a really tough pioneer woman, and I'm sure if I was born into that time, I could've done it and maybe even done it well.  I would just hate to have them step into my time for a day and say, "what is your problem?  You have it so good!"   It's true.  


On Tuesday, Aaron and I decided to do something adventurous and we hiked up Angel's Landing in Zion Canyon.  This is something I've always wanted to do and never had the chance.  We brought the kids to Zion in the spring of 2012 when I was pregnant with Jordan, but we only went on short hikes we could take the kids on.  Even though I was 22 weeks pregnant this time, the hike wasn't too bad.  It took Aaron and I about 2 hours ? to do the whole thing, if I remember right.   We took a little break at the top to enjoy the view.  

Enjoying the view from the top

Notice the chains that have been put into the
rock for extra safety- I was grateful for those,
as it was pretty scary for me in a few places!!

Behind Aaron is the narrow climb up to the very top.  


We had the opportunity of going to the Tuacahn theatre for two shows that week, one on Monday night and one on Tuesday night.  I was so sore on Monday night after climbing Angel's Landing, I could hardly walk!!    That night, we watched the "Wizard of Oz", which was amazing!  


The second night we saw the play "The Little Mermaid".  I would've been extremely impressed with the Wizard of Oz alone, but after seeing "The Little Mermaid", I would rate "the Wizard of Oz" a 6 and "The Little Mermaid" a "10"!   It was over and beyond what I had expected!!!  Wow!  The way they used water on the stage for all their effects was simply phenomenal!!   We would definitely go again!    


On Tuesday morning, we spent some time golfing at a course nearby.  Aaron golfed 9 holes while I sat in the cart with my book :)   The weather was perfect, pretty mild for June.  Aaron always calls me his "good luck charm" because he usually does really well when I am with him.  (I know he's just trying to impress his girl...)  Some of the other golfers commented on how well he did, especially for someone who just had back surgery 4 months ago.   


It was a great vacation!   It has been 3 years since we went on a trip with just the two of us so it was much needed!  We would love to get away like that every year!  It just makes every- day life a little easier to handle when you have something like that to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment