Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Boating on July 4th



The weekend of July 4th, we got a really amazing surprise from my dad.  He gave us a boat.  All I can say is, "Wow."  A boat is something I never really planned on buying for my family.   I like boating and have many fond memories of going with my family as a child, I just never thought it would be something we could or would want to do.  I don't know why, really.    So, I am grateful that my dad did this for us so we can have experiences with our family that we probably never would have had.


The first day (July 3rd) we picked up the boat, was definitely an adventure.   We met dad in Orem and we took the boat to Utah Lake, where we took it out and he showed us how to drive it, launch and take care of it.  This is a whole new thing for us so it was a little bit overwhelming, but figured we'd get it eventually. That day we just had some hang-ups such as the boat not starting then when we got it out it was hard to figure out how to get the boat secured on the trailer.  Then, as we were leaving the lake,  our excursion broke down on the side of the road.   Thankfully, a kind man pulled over and took Aaron to a parts shop in Orem and then went back and helped him fix the alternator.  I will be forever grateful to that good samaritan.  My sister who lives in Orem came and picked me and the kids up and we hung out at her house until it was done.  


The next day (July 4th) we decided we needed to get right back on the saddle and conquer our fears.  We stopped and bought a tube on clearance to pull behind the boat.  Then, we headed to Willard Bay. Surprisingly, for a Saturday on the 4th of July, the lake was pretty empty with only a few other boats. Also, the water was really warm, like Lake Powell water, and smooth.  Yes, it was a perfect boating day.  And, things also went a lot smoother with taking the boat out, too.  Aaron and I are learning together and having fun doing it!   Our kids had a great time being pulled behind the boat and swimming in the lake.  


   Since the 4th, we have been boating several more times and had a great time.  We are so very blessed and grateful for the wonderful opportunities available to us!  



Of course, one of our family mottos is "We work hard and we play hard" and we definitely do both.   The following weekend Aaron spent half the day out back with the kids digging a hole to set our trampoline in.  They worked really hard while mom was in the house cleaning the carpets.  
  
Jared likes to "create toys" for Kaylee by attaching
a bunch of toys to things with bungee cords.

 ,  

No comments:

Post a Comment