Thursday, August 27, 2009

Camping at Oneida Narrows




August 17-19th we went camping up in the Oneida narrows, about 15 min North of Preston, ID. It was such a beautiful camping spot, right next to the river!! There was a spot kind of off the river that was almost like a small wading pool where we swam with the kids and floated around. Oma and Opa came up for the first night and stayed with us. The second night was just our family and we left late in the afternoon on the third day. We made several trips down the river on our float tubes and that was a blast!! First, Aaron and I went with Erika and Kyle while Oma and Opa stayed back at camp with Heidi. Then, my parents went down with Erika and Kyle. The third day we decided to go down again with our whole family but there was no one else there to drop us off at the top so what we did was drive our truck up to the top and float down and then I rode my bike up to get the truck after we finished our run. The river is perfect for floating- pretty slow and smooth with a few little "rapids." We jumped in and swam in a few spots. I thought we were being pretty brave to take our whole family down on Aaron's little pontoon boat, but it turned out great and Heidi enjoyed sitting on my lap and splashing her feet in the water. I love camping! We had a great time playing games, roasting marshmallows, going for bike rides, and just hanging out. One funny thing is that a skunk came into our camp both nights and my dad almost shot him the first night but he got away while he was trying to load his gun. The skunk sprayed twice and we could smell it faintly in the morning. The second night, Aaron and I were just sitting by the fire and the skunk wandered over as close as 6 feet to us! He started digging through our garbage. We snuck around the camp to our tent trailer and didn't come out until morning. I was so worried about our s'more stuff which was still out on the table and was tempted to go out and save it! Fortunately, I learned that skunks can't climb up on tables or he would have gorged himself on marshmallows and chocolate! It was a great time. I know the kids had a blast.

4 comments:

  1. What great memories (skunk stories too) Thanks for sharing.... the pix are sooo great. What beautiful grandkids I have... I am so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... ERIKA... that's an amazing bubble!! I am so glad that I got to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, I just found your blog through the comment you made on Beckee's blog. I didn't know you had a blog. It has been so much fun reading through everything here. You have such a beautiful family. It is great to read up on you. I can't believe how much your children have grown--and Heidi is already 2?! Wow. Fun to think of you being a Young Women's leader. It brought back a lot of memories of when we were that age. Anyway, great to read up on you. I'm so glad I found your blog. Here's my email: cutiepatootie2000_27@hotmail.com I'd love to send you an invite to my blog too but I don't have your email address. Take Care, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful family! I love the picture of Kyle and Erika in front of the fountains at the temple. Good luck with little Heidi. She is a doll.

    ReplyDelete