Wednesday, November 2, 2011

In Memory of Grandma Christensen

On September 24th, we had the opportunity to travel to Boise to pay our respects to Aaron's grandma, Donna Marie Christensen.  She passed away on Sept 16, 2011.    I had the opportunity of singing at her funeral- "I Stand All Amazed."  This was her favorite song.   It was such a great experience for me.


Aaron's grandma was an amazing woman.  She has left a legacy behind that will be hard to follow.  I can honestly say that  I have NEVER met a more Christlike person in my entire life.  She was truly and angel on earth.  I only knew her for the last 12 years of her life, but from what I am told, she hasn't changed much from before that time in her life.  She suffered from Alzheimer's for the last several years, but despite the challenges she went through, no one ever heard her complain.

To all who knew her, grandma Christensen was full of love and optimism.  She was constantly speaking positive and cheerful words.  She never had a negative word to say.   In his talk, Aaron's uncle Jeff said that he believes if she were on the Titanic as it was going down, she would have been commenting on how beautiful the sunset was.   That was just the way grandma was.  She was always positive!   She raised 5 amazing children, one of which was my mother-in-law Vicki.  She loved to sing and had a great appreciation for music.  She was also passionate about missionary work.  She and grandpa both served in the Scotland, Edinburgh mission (the same one Aaron served in.)  Aaron remembers that whenever he saw her, she would always give him money for his mission and made sure he knew she expected him to go.


I am grateful for my opportunity to know Donna Christensen.   She was truly a wonderful woman.  Knowing her has made me want to be a better person, more like the Savior.  I only hope that someday someone could say something like that about me.  

1 comment: