Friday, November 25, 2011

Kyle's 6th Birthday

What a handsome boy, if I do say so myself!  

We celebrated Kyle's 6th birthday on Nov 10th.  It was a fun day for him.   He wanted a "Batman cake" so I spent over 3 hours that day getting his cake decorated.   I think the part that took the longest was kneading the black food coloring into the fondant- it had to be black, not dark purple.  Thank goodness for the internet, too, which provides so many helpful ideas.  This was the finished product:  


The funny thing is Kyle knows he likes Batman but he has never even seen a Batman cartoon or movie before so on his birthday I let him watch one that we found at the library.  Of course, he loved it.   

Kyle had a pretty simple birthday this year.  We don't do a birthday party every year, and he had his 5-year old party last year.  (His next one will be at age 8.)  So, we woke up in the morning and daddy made french toast for his birthday breakfast at his request.   Then, he opened all his presents. 


Kyle found a salamander in the window well back in September and it was a very exciting thing for him.   We had kids coming over from all over the neighborhood to see him.  I let him keep it in a tupperware container with sandbox sand in it.  He was responsible for taking care of him.  He feeds him bugs- flies, crickest, worms, etc.  Well, we told him if he kept it alive until his birthday, we'd buy a real aquarium for his pet.  And he did, so that was one of his gifts.  Kyle and I got it all set up and his salamander was very happy in his new home.  

Kyle showing off his hunting playset from Opa 
Kyle got a Lego building set from grandma and he just couldn't wait build it.     The next day, He and Erika put the space shuttle together.   I was amazed with how well they did on it!   I helped them get started, but then the two of them followed the instructions and figured the rest of it out on their own!   This was Kyle's first Lego building set.

We are so thankful to have Kyle in our family.   He is a great son and brother.  I have grown to love his fun personality and excitement for life.  He is adventurous and motivated.  I have watched him grow a lot this year in his ability to be on task and in his interactions with others.   He has become a lot more sensitive and helpful.  I love him so much- what a sweet boy!  
That night after dinner (spaghetti- Kyle's request) we all went swimming as a family to Crystal Hot Springs, which is about 10 min. from our house.  We had a nice time swimming there- the water is so warm so Jared even enjoyed it.   It was a great day.  

Jared enjoyed the batman cake, too!  

3 comments:

  1. The cake turned out SO good! You need to teach me how to really get the fondant black. I struggled with that as well and gave up. You are the cake pro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool cake Amber!!
    Each birthday I always think you won't be able to out do the last... and.. I am always wrong!!
    Do the kids know how spoiled they are?????
    I hope so!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool cake. And I can't get over how old Kyle is looking! Wow, it's been so long!!! :) but it won't be too much longer :)

    ReplyDelete